10 Best Museums to Visit and Experience Modern Art
Modern Art, just like modern furniture, describes the thinking and style of artists during the period of 1860-1970. The artistic work produced during that period was full of fresh ideas some understood by the connoisseurs only and some found an appeal among the commoners as well. The material and the traditions of modern art were quite different from the past. The recent art form is now termed as Contemporary art. Museums are enriched with the history of Modern art. They are preserving the artistic pieces of modern art for the present generations. Few of the museums mentioned below have the exceptional and breathtaking collections of the modern art.
· Irish Museum of Modern Art in Ireland exhibits wide variety of collection of modern and contemporary art. It has more than 4500 collection by famous artists like Gilbert and George, Willie Doherty and Paul Seawright, Marina Abramovic, llya and Emilia Kabakov, Rebecca Hornand many more. Dorothy by Sean Scully is its major attraction.
· Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan in New York City, USA developed in 1929 has influential range of modern art. The few unparalleled collections of the museum are: The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh, Broadway Boogie Woogie by Piet Mondrian, Water Lilies triptych by Claude Monet.
· Brussels Museum of Modern Art displays art by Belgian artists such as Navez, Leys, James Ensor, Stevens and other foreign artists. “The Blacksmith” by Constantin Meunier, “Zonnige Dreef” by Emile Claus, “Memories” by Ferdinand Khnopff is among its collection.
· Whitney Museum of American Art has collections of paintings, drawings, photographs, and sculptures. Few of them are from the personal collection of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney.
· Moscow Museum of Modern Art, Russia has a remarkable personal collection of Zurab Tsereteli and other artists. The main artwork is from the 1st decade of the 20th century. It is also an education center for new artist using advanced technology in this field.
· San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is one of the most innovative museums opened in 1935 under the utmost guidance of Grace L. McCann Morley. It has a diverse range of modern art pieces.
· National Museum Of Modern Art, Tokyo (MOMAT) is known for its Nihonga artists who adopted Western style in their art form. It also has a Crafts Gallery exhibiting ceramics, textile, lacquers and many more Japanese crafts.
· National Gallery of Canada is one of the exclusive art galleries. It has a premier collection focusing on Canadian art. The gallery located in Ottawa has collection of work from Tom Thomson, Emily Carrr, and Alex Colville. Maman standing outside the building’s entrance is an exceptional art piece.
· Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, England is one of the newest art galleries opened in 2007. The collection of work is from Ben Nicholson, Peter Howson, Ken Currie, Frank Auerbach, Stanley Spencer, Gwen John, David Bomberg, Tracy Emin and many more. A school of art has also been established there.
· The Hayward is an art gallery in London, England opened in 1968. The gallery exhibits art forms from all periods. It hosts temporary exhibitions of artists and does not have much to its permanent collection. The exhibitions had shown works from Leonardo da Vinci and Edvard Munch.
A visit to any of these places, not only stimulates the minds, but also is a learning experience. I tried to add as many wonderful museums, that came to mind, I am sure there are more. If you’d like to add more to this list, then please feel free to do so.