Sherpa chairs are cozy and stylish additions to any home or dorm room, offering warmth and comfort. Whether you have a genuine sherpa chair or a faux sherpa chair, it’s essential to keep them clean and well-maintained to preserve their softness and appearance. In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to clean and care for your sherpa accent chair, including DIY covers for dorm chairs.
How to Clean a Sherpa Chair
Start by using a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove loose dirt, dust, and debris from the chair’s surface. Be gentle to avoid damaging the delicate sherpa fabric.
- Spot Clean:
For small stains or spills, spot cleaning is the best approach. Mix a mild detergent with water and dab the stained area with a clean cloth or sponge. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the fabric.
After spot cleaning, rinse the area with a clean, damp cloth to remove any residue from the detergent. Pat the area dry with a towel.
- Full Cleaning:
For a more thorough cleaning, remove the chair cover if possible, and follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. In most cases, sherpa chair covers can be machine washed on a gentle cycle with cold water. Use a mild detergent and avoid using bleach or fabric softeners. Air dry the cover to prevent shrinkage and maintain its softness.
How to Clean a Faux Sherpa Chair
Cleaning a faux sherpa chair is similar to cleaning a genuine sherpa chair, with a few differences:
Begin by vacuuming the chair to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Spot Clean:
For stains or spills, use a mixture of mild detergent and water. Gently blot the stained area with a clean cloth or sponge. Avoid using abrasive cleaners that may damage the faux sherpa fabric.
Rinse the cleaned area with a clean, damp cloth to remove any detergent residue. Pat the area dry with a towel.
- Full Cleaning:
Check the care instructions provided by the manufacturer for specific cleaning recommendations. Faux sherpa chair covers are usually safe for machine washing on a gentle cycle with cold water. Use a mild detergent and avoid bleach or fabric softeners. Air dry the cover to maintain its appearance and texture.
DIY Sherpa Cover for Dorm Chair
If you want to protect your dorm chair or give it a cozy sherpa look, you can create a DIY sherpa chair cover:
- Sherpa fabric (enough to cover your chair)
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Measure your chair’s dimensions and add extra fabric for seam allowances.
- Cut the sherpa fabric according to your measurements, leaving extra material for hems and seams.
- Fold the fabric inside out and sew along the edges to create a cover that fits snugly over your chair.
- Turn the cover right-side out and slip it over your dorm chair. You now have a custom sherpa chair cover!
How to Wash a Sherpa Chair Cover
To keep your sherpa chair cover clean, follow these steps:
- Remove the cover from the chair.
- Check the care label for specific washing instructions. In most cases, machine wash on a gentle cycle with cold water using a mild detergent.
- Avoid using bleach or fabric softeners, as they can damage the fabric.
- Air dry the cover to prevent shrinkage and maintain its softness.
Taking care of your sherpa chair, whether genuine or faux, is essential to ensure it remains cozy and stylish. Regular vacuuming, spot cleaning, and proper washing techniques will help prolong the life of your sherpa chair and keep it looking its best. If you’re feeling crafty, you can even create your own DIY sherpa chair cover to add a personalized touch to your dorm room or home decor.