Do you know the Wassily chair? It was designed by Marcel Breuer in 1925, and it has become one of the most iconic pieces of furniture in history. In this blog, we would be sharing with you 10 interesting facts about this famous chair and why you should own one.
But before then, let’s talk about the man Marcel Breuer.
He was born in Hungary in 1902, and he was one of the most influential furniture designers of the 20th century. He was a part of the Bauhaus movement, which was all about creating simple, functional designs that were accessible to everyone. The Wassily Chair was his most famous creation. It was originally designed for the German manufacturer Gropius Werke, and it was named after Wassily Kandinsky, who was a friend of Breuer’s and an important figure in the art world. The Wassily Chair is made from chrome-plated tubular steel and leather, and it has a distinctive curved backrest and arms. It’s been featured in films such as The Thomas Crown Affair and Inception, and it’s been replicated by many furniture manufacturers over the years.
10 interesting facts about the Wassily Chair.
- The Wassily Chair was originally called the Model B3 chair. It was named after the Russian painter Wassily Kandinsky, a friend of Breuer’s.
- It was designed for the German company Gropius & Co., which was headed by Walter Gropius, one of the founders of the Bauhaus school of design. The Wassily Chair was the first chair of its kind to be made out of modern materials. It was designed using industrial methods and was available in a variety of colors including black, white, red and blue. The original price was $650 when it was released in 1925 (about $8000 today). In 1926, Breuer left Gropius & Co. to start his own studio and was free to sell the chair wherever he wanted. The Wassily Chair was licensed by the Italian company, Cassina in 1965 and was produced under license until 1977 when production ended due to a dispute over royalties owed between Breuer’s heirs and Cassina USA Incorporated (the US subsidiary of Cassina).
- The Wassily Chair was inspired by a bicycle saddle that Breuer saw in a store window. He was intrigued by the way that the saddle curved to fit the body and decided to use this design in his new chair.
- It was one of the first chairs to be made out of metal tubing. This was a new material for furniture at the time and made the chair lighter and more durable. It was also designed with leather straps instead of wood or fabric which was common in most other chairs during this era.
- The original prototype was covered with leather, but was later changed to canvas. This was because the leather was difficult to clean and maintain. The Wassily Chair has become one of the most iconic pieces of furniture in history because its minimalist design can fit into any room and is still stylish today even though it’s almost 100 years old!
- The Wassily Chair was featured in the Museum of Modern Art’s “The Machine Age in America” exhibition in 1929. It was one of the first pieces of furniture to be included in the museum and was seen as a symbol of modernity and progress. The Wassily Chair was also featured in an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art called “Design for Living: The Art of American Industrial Design” in 1941. This was one of the first exhibitions to be held at MoMA that was dedicated solely to showcasing furniture from designers all over the world.
- It was named in honor of Wassily Kandinsky, a Russian artist and Bauhaus teacher who was one of Breuer’s friends. Kandinsky was one of the first artists to experiment with abstract art and he was a major influence on Breuer’s work.
- The Wassily Chair was the first chair to be mass-produced. It was designed using industrial methods and was available in a variety of colors including black, white, red and blue. This made it more affordable and accessible to the general public.
- It was originally priced at $22. 50 in 1925, but was later sold for $650 (about $8000 today). In 1926, Breuer left Gropius & Co. to start his own studio and was free to sell the chair wherever he wanted. The Wassily Chair was licensed by the Italian company Cassina in 1965 and was produced under license until 1977 when production ended due to a dispute over royalties owed between Breuer’s heirs and Cassina USA Incorporated (the US subsidiary of Cassina).
- The Wassily Chair is still in production today, and is considered a classic piece of furniture. In 2001, Wassily chairs started being made again by the German company Thonet. The current price for a Wassily chair is about $4000.
How to clean and maintain the wassily chair?
The Wassily chair is a great addition to any room and can be styled in a variety of ways depending on your personal preference. It’s important to keep in mind that the wassily chair is not indestructible, so you’ll want to take care when cleaning and maintaining it.
Here are a few tips on how to keep your wassily chair looking its best:
Be careful not to spill any liquids or food on the chair, as this could damage the fabric or leather.
If there is a stain on the chair, you can try to clean it with a damp cloth, but be sure to test the cleaning solution in an inconspicuous area before applying it to the whole chair.
The wassily chair should be dusted regularly using a soft brush or feather duster.
To remove any dirt or dust from the metal tubing, you can use a mild soap and water solution. Make sure to rinse off all of the soap before drying thoroughly
Dust off any loose dirt or dust on a regular basis using a damp cloth.
Do not use harsh detergents or cleaning products; they may damage the surface of your furniture over time! You can also vacuum lightly around its edges once every few months with an upholstery attachment if necessary (just be careful not spill anything nearby).
What can you pair the Wassily chair with?
The wassily chair was designed to complement any room in your home. It is a perfect addition for those looking for a simple and classic piece of furniture that will add style without taking up too much space. If you have some extra room on either side of the wassily chair, there are many options available including other seating like sofas or benches as well as coffee tables! You can also place plants near it if desired – just make sure they’re not too tall because this might interfere with its design elements (e.g., glass top).
A chair for relaxation and maintaining good posture.
The wassily chair was designed with your health and wellbeing in mind. Its unique design helps to improve your posture and encourages you to relax. It’s the perfect choice for those who work from home or spend a lot of time in front of a computer. The wassily chair is also great for reading, watching TV, or just taking a break from it all!
Where can you use a wassily chair?
The wassily chair is a versatile piece of furniture that can be used in a variety of ways. It’s perfect for use in the home, office, or any other space where you need an extra seat. Due to its lightweight and compact size, it can also be taken with you on trips or used as an outdoor chair when needed.
What are the wassily chair’s dimensions?
The wassily chair is 22.83 inches wide, 25.59 inches deep, and 31.50 inches high. It has a seat height of 17.72 inches and a weight capacity of 330 pounds. The armrests are also 20.47 inches wide by 21.65 inches high with a depth of 23.62 inches. And this makes it perfect for any space, even small rooms.
If you’re in the market for a comfy chair, the Wassily Chair is a great option. It’s stylish and comfortable, and it comes at a reasonable price. Plus, it’s easy to care for–just dust it with a soft cloth from time to time. So if you’re looking for a new piece of furniture that will add comfort and style to your home, the Wassily Chair is definitely worth considering. Why not buy one today?
We thought you should see these too:
It was one of the first chairs to be made out of metal tubing. This was a new material for furniture at the time and made the chair lighter and more durable. It was also designed with leather straps instead of wood or fabric which was common in most other chairs during this era.
Wassily chair replica
The original design is now readily available in cheap replica form, so you can buy a cheap Wassily Chair reproduction at a great price, and build a modernist apartment paradise. Here at regencyshop.com, you can find amazing wassily chairs on sale.
Marcel breuer wassily chair
Marcel Breuer attended the Bauhaus from 1920 to 1924 and became head of its carpentry workshop in 1925. Also in 1925, Breuer bought his first bicycle. He was so impressed by its lightness and strength that he decided to make furniture from tubular steel. His first experimental tubular steel piece was the club style armchair about which he said, “It is my most extreme work both in its outward appearance and in the use of materials; it is the least artistic, the most logical, the least ‘cosy’ and the most mechanical.” It became known as the “Wassily” chair because of Kandinsky’s admiration for it.
Knoll wassily chair
The Wassily Chair, designed at the Bauhaus in 1925 by Marcel Breuer and produced today by Knoll, marks the beginning of modern furniture design. Knoll has continued the production of timeless and iconic furniture from the past.
Wassily chair original
A Wassily chair original — often made from metal, animal skin and chrome — can elevate any home. Whether you’re looking for an older or newer wassily chair original, there are earlier versions available from the 20th Century and newer variations made as recently as the 20th Century. A wassily chair original is a generally popular piece of furniture, but those created in Mid-Century Modern styles are sought with frequency. Many designers have produced at least one well-made wassily chair original over the years, but those crafted by Marcel Breuer, Knoll and Gavina are often thought to be among the most beautiful.
What is the wassily chair made of?
The wassily chair was made of leather or canvas and metal tubes. It was designed during the 20th Century in Europe and America.
Who designed the wassily chair?
It was designed by Marcel Breuer in 1925, and it has become one of the most iconic pieces of furniture in history.
How to date a wassily chair?
You can date wassily chairs by looking at the legs, or other metal parts of the chair. Some wassily chairs date back to the 1920s, and there are wassily chairs from as recently as the 2000s.
Where can I get a wassily chair?
You can buy wassily chairs online. There are also wassily replica chairs which you can purchase. Here at Regency Shop, we have of the best replicas money can buy.
How to tell if wassily chair is original?
You can tell if wassily chairs are original by checking for a wassily stamp, or wassily label. Some wassily chairs also have wassily numbers on the bottom of them which you can compare to wassily numbers online to see if they match.
How can you tell if wassily chair is real?
You can tell wassily chairs are real by looking at the wassily stamp, wassily label or wassily number.